Ljubljana today is known not only for its tranquil lakes and world-class ski resorts, but also for its broad cultural sites and plenty of alternative fun places to go for outdoor recreation.
So what to do in Ljubljana while you are in Slovenia? This destination is an impeccable vacation spot for nature activities and outdoor adventure for all type of visitors.
If you’re looking for more cities besides Ljubljana to go places to go with friends or family, there’re more than a handful to match your travel checklist.
ljubljana slovenia to lake bled
The traveling time from Ljubljana to Lake Bled is a 56 km drive. If you’re not driving, the best approach to go from Ljubljana to Lake Bled is via public bus, which takes 1hr and 6mins and costs €3 – €16.
Lake Bled is one of Slovenia’s most popular tourist places. But there’re more than a handful of under-the-radar cities and towns offering tons of spectacular outdoor activities and inspiring places to visit.
Before you hit the road, here’s 7 beautiful places to go for nature activities from Ljubljana minus the nightlife hangouts.
Bovec is super ideal for family adventure vacations and outdoor activities for couples. The pristine valley is packed with activities like watersports, paragliding, mountain biking and hiking trail.
The rugged mountain of Rombon at 2,207 meters high, is an important part of Slovenia’s landscape. The city of Bovec lies of the southern side of it’s summit and is surrounded by the majestic Julian Alps.
Mountain bikers and novice cyclists have a plethora of forested routes to choose and the venue for the iconic Giro d´Italia cycling race which was held successfully (after Covid) on the 27th May 2022.
“The Walk Of Peace” is a popular guided hiking adventure from the Alps to the Adriatic sea for visitors and military buffs who wish to experience the history of the first world war, memorial sites and wine tasti
Bovec is great for travelers seeking a relaxing vacation in the countryside as well as those seeking nature activities. An ideal fun trip for couples.
There are tons of outdoor activities to do for all seasons such rafting or visiting the zip line adventure park in summer as well as skiing in winter at Kanin Ski resort.
Top Things To Do In Bovec
- Go on a guided whitewater rafting experience in the Soča River with breathtaking scenery
- In some plateaus and mountain ascents, you can go biking on valley dirt roads
- Ski and snowboard at Kanin-Sella Nevea Ski Resort located in Goriška
- Visit Slap Virje Waterfall which is close to the Soča River
- Try beginners Kayak course at Soča’s emerald river
Take a walking tour around Piran cobble-sized stones pavement streets.#holiday #trip #getaway pic.twitter.com/x1tsHkBuGk
— B A Lawrence (@TimeForGetaways) May 2, 2022
Piran is a coastal town nestled amid the 46.6 kilometer stretch of Slovene Riviera shoreline alongside the Adriatic Sea. The town’s lengthy pier and Venetian architecture dated back from the nineteenth century.
When planning your vacation to Slovenia , Piran is an ideal vacation near to the idyllic lake Bled, Brda and a pretty short trip away from Ljubljana.
The beach town is also home to the world largest underground Skocjan Cave, so take some time to explore beautiful places like the mammoth cave, Tartini Square and St. George’s Cathedral.
Top Things To Do In Piran
- Take a walking tour around Piran cobble-sized stones pavement streets
- Visit the magical world of rare sea shells at the museum
- Discover “Walls of Piran” well-preserved defensive historic downtown site
- Go for a relaxing Spa at Lepa Vida Thalasso to unwind
- Within Tartani Central Square, pay a visit to St. George’s Church
Beautiful Heritage Town With Stunning Scenery And Tons Of Activities In Kovarid, Slovenia#Tours #Attractions pic.twitter.com/FoEfBQyeAj
— B A Lawrence (@TimeForGetaways) May 3, 2022
The small town of Kobarid is located in the western-most part of Slovenia, in the lovely Soča Valley surrounded by the Julian Alps. A Natural Heritage location with top-notch restaurants.
Kobarid is a gateway for all kinds of outdoor activities which makes this town one of the best places to visit for couples from Ljubljana
From mountain getaways to paragliding and super relaxing eco-lodges, Kobarid is shaped by its stunning natural surroundings.
Some of the best places to go with friends for a spread of adventure. Also, an ideal destination for couples who are seeking a tranquil and peaceful vacation.
Top Things To Do In Kobarid
- Check out the Napoleon’s Bridge built in 1750
- Visit Slap Kozjak, the most beautiful waterfall in Slovenia
- View WW1 artefacts and other exhibits at Kobarid Museum l.l.c.
- Breathtaking viewpoint at Napoleon’s Bridge with hiking trial
- Visit romantic mountain village of Drežnica
4. KRANJSKA GORA
Kranjska Gora is a pretty sight that sparks your senses at any season of the year and it’s a true by nature. A charming Alpine resort setting in northern-west Slovenia within Triglav National Park
The Triglav National Park are there for you to discover numerous adventures from an adrenaline-pumping vacation to peaceful experiences of nature and its artistic heritage.
The thing is that Kranjska Gora’s pristine surroundings appeals to visitors looking for hidden gems and serene forest trial with fairytale-like waterfalls and placid crystal clear stream.
This is one of those cool places to visit where nature is the finest remedy to the negative effects of our fast-paced modern lives. It’s a breath of fresh air for pent-up travelers.
Kranjska Goran is a perfect getaway from Ljubljana for adventure activities and eco-conscious visitors looking for backcountry hiking through magnificent forests, alpine streams and scenic lakes.
Top Things To Do In Kranjska Gora
- Drive to the captivating Upper Sava Valley
- Explore the mystical history of the Zgornjesavska valley
- Relax at picturesque Lake Jasna with views of the mountain and valley
- Ride on ski lift at Kranjska Gora Ski Resort in winter
- Book a guided tour from Ljubljana to Kranjska Gora and be in sync with nature.
The enchanting Lake Bohinj @ Slovenia#nature #photooftheday pic.twitter.com/1eEebZoNz3
— B A Lawrence (@TimeForGetaways) May 5, 2022
Bohinj is a fairyland valley embraced by the Julian Alps. One of the best places for short getaways is to Lake Bohinj which lies in the heart of the Triglav National Park.
The largest Slovenian natural lake, nestled at the base of unspoilt alps and mountain tops, is one of Europe’s oldest public spaces for romantic couples to wander around.
The mountain at Tiglav National Park with an elevation of 2,863.65 meters is the highest in Slovenia. A great outdoor adventure for serious hikers and biking enthusiasm.
There’re no other places I can think of than Lake Bohinj for couples to stop by. With gorgeous scenery and the spectacular Julian Alps as a backdrop, this is a pretty peaceful place to visit.
Top Things To Do In Bohinj
- Take a stroll at Lake Bohinj, a favorite spot for couples to visit
- Do a 2 days hike at Triglav (highest mountain) for a memorable experience
- Book a sightseeing and boat ride tour from Ljubljana to Triglav National Park
Tolmin is a tiny town situated in northern Slovenia. Trieste Airport (TRS) at approximately 55.8 kilometers from Ljubljana, and the closest airport to this stunning locale.
The top places to visit for visitors at this small townn are Tolmin gorges, which is the lowest access into the Triglav National Park and Sotočje Tolminke in Soče (natural beach)
For pious visitors, visit Memorial Church of the Holy Spirit in Javorca, located 8km from the town center. An ideal venue for a little prayer to your loved ones.
Tomlin has everything for the best vacation spots with great outdoor experiences considering its easy access to Triglav National Park.
Top Things To Do In Tolmin
- Go for a cool dip at Sotočje Tolminke natural beach
- Explore the caves and bridges at Tomlin Gorges
- Look out for tons of music and art festivals to go
Oldest Vineyard in Maribor, Slovenia you might like to visit..#traveling #vacation pic.twitter.com/m3q3FB15wt
— B A Lawrence (@TimeForGetaways) May 5, 2022
Maribor is a cultural city in the eastern region, surrounded by wine-growing valleys on the Drava River, and an excellent launching pad for visitors interested in the history about Eastern Slovenia.
Ski slops, mountain biking and hiking trail punctuate the green hills of the eastern corner of Slovenia, nestled by some of the world’s oldest vineyards in the country.
If you love to relax with a glass of wine and take a peaceful stroll in rows of picturesque vineyards, then Maribor is one of the best places to go on vacation with friends or on a solo trip.
Top Things To Do In Maribor
- Go downhill mountain biking at Mariborsko Pohorje Ski Resort
- Visit the Museum Of National Liberation Maribor with guided tour
- Take in the view and relax with sip wine at Vodni Stolp Water Tower
- Engage a local guided trip from Ljubljana and explore Maribor and its sprawling vineyards
Which is the best month to visit Slovenia
The months of April to May are ideal for visiting Ljubljana in Slovenia. The weather is pretty pleasant during the shoulder season and lodging is less expensive.
It’s less crowded in May than during the summer high season, which runs from June to August as well as during the popular winter holidays. Here’s some great vacation spots (Ljubljana Slovenia Map)
Top things to do in Ljubljana Slovenia
- Enjoy the summer sun and swim in the Adriatic Sea at one of Slovenian’s beautiful beaches
- Engage a local guided trip to Lake Bled & Bled Castle
- Visit one of Slovenia’s many museums
- Explore Ljubljana’s medieval Old Town with its picturesque squares and charming streets
- Book a private city walking tour and explore Ljubljana major sites
In general, driving within Slovenia is pretty safe and trouble-free, with excellent road conditions and plenty of signposts (route guide) along the road. Driving on right side of any roads and seatbelt is compulsory including passengers at the backseat.
Traffic on the outskirt of major cities are mostly light and and easy drive for any tourist. The only thing you need to be careful is the narrow and winding road on the countryside.
So, if self drive is not your cup of tea, there are tons of top-rated local guided trips from Ljubljana to most of the cities and towns.